Tuesday 21 January 2014

Sharing your Writing takes Guts

Writing can be emotionally rewarding, but also devastating, depending how it is received. When you put your heart into your writing, you leave yourself vulnerable by revealing your feelings, beliefs, and writing skills to others. The meaning of your writing may be misinterpreted and you can receive unexpected negative feedback.

While I was taking a college Creative Writing class, post degree, I got what I originally thought was a positive comment on a paper. It was a very detailed analysis of The Handymaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. The paper was 21 pages long and I felt a bit sorry for my English instructor that had to read and grade it. To my surprise, she wrote that I should write for "intelligent" women magazines. In hindsight, it was only a partial compliment as it specified "women's magazines" and I am not sure many "intelligent magazines for women" existed back in the 1990's.

I also wrote a short story as a class assignment based on a real life experience of mine. To my horror, my instructor read it out in front of the class. I was in my early thirties, with the rest of the students eighteen or a bit older. The young men in the room started to heckle the story by making statements such as "that would never happen" or "she must have been a real bitch!" They got very angry, while I kept shrinking down into my desk, hoping no one would notice my red face. It was as if I was reliving the nightmare all over again. (Refer to my blog: Why I Write About Domestic Violence for more information.)

I have had many people suggest that I write a book due to the struggles in my life which I have had to overcome. However, I am too busy at the moment for that and prefer sharing insights that I have gained overcoming some of these difficult challenges.

My goal is, if I help just one person with my story, that they may come to realize they are not alone in their struggles, it will make any effort on my part in writing this blog worthwhile.

Trudy Grossman



No comments:

Post a Comment